Using Local Produce to Warm Up Your Summer Recipes
Summer means fresh vegetables and refreshing fruits to cool down your palette. Head to your local Farmer’s Market with your family and make a trip of it! Find your favorite yummies, pack them in your tote bag, and head on home to cool down with some local freshness.
Bring the outdoors in- into your food this summer! Cooking with flowers is a unique way to mix more of nature’s bounty into your meal. Edible flowers add a splash of color, an interesting texture, and a chance to educate your kids on fun cooking techniques.
Tip: If you can’t find edible flowers at your grocery store, or organic foods store, check your local farmer’s market.
The fun thing about a recipe like a frittata is that your kids can add the ingredients they love to make a one-pot wonder…or one-pan frittata!
Flowers are also fun to add to something sweet. Not only will your kids create a work of art, but also they’ll be learning how to get creative with unconventional ingredients! Let’s stir up that imagination!
Happy Saturday! What will you do with your kids today to fire those neurons?
Creative Ideas for some Homemade Flair
Baby food is in an independent food category of it’s own.
Benefits of Homemade Baby Food
Whether you decide to feed your baby store-bought food or make your own, there are certainly some benefits to homemade baby food to fuel your curiosity and creativity. According to webmd.com, parents have found the below reasons to be advantages to making homemade baby food:
- Parents know exactly what they are feeding their baby.
- It may be more economical than buying pre-packaged food, however this is not always the case.
- Parents can choose their own fruits, vegetables, and other foods for purees instead of relying on the flavors chosen by manufacturers.
- It helps baby adjust to eating the same food as the rest of the family, but in puree form.
If you’re curious to try making baby food at home, you will need a food grinder and a way to steam the food—steaming can be the best way to cook ingredients because it preserves the most nutrients.
Peach, Apple, and Pear Puree
Avocado Baby Puree
You made it! Now what?
Babycenter.com suggests the following serving tips:
- Serve the food no warmer than body temperature.
- Use caution if you heat meals in the microwave.
- Only dish out the amount of food you think your baby will eat at that feeding. You will need to throw away what’s left over because your baby’s saliva will get into the mixture and make it easy for bacteria to grow in the food.
- Do not sweeten your baby’s food, and do not use honey or corn syrup, which can cause botulism.
- Use seasonings to flavor your food.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container and use them within a couple of days. You can also freeze leftovers in ice cube trays and similar devices.
And accessories in 2014
BabyTrend Baby Trends Report
Pinterest is gaining more and more followers and digital bulletin boards are overflowing with creative ideas. Its no wonder parents and parents-to-be are more interested in baby items that are as safe as they are fashionable.
Baby Trend has implemented these new colorways and timeless trends into our designs, like the new Hello Kitty line! Some other trends that are slowly earning a classic reputation are chevron designs in muted colors like gray, monochromatic pairings like black and white and pops of color in pastel.
Nurseries for example are moving towards the most ergonomic and green-friendly options that grow with baby. Luxurious and convertible options like the below offer fun design options and a bit of trendy design:
Items with a splash of color are also gaining in popularity. “Upscale” baby clothes and fashionable baby gear are coming together in full force as the trendy pairing of 2014. Some other items that may be more handy than necessary are baby bathtubs, and these can be just as colorful as they are relaxing.
What items are the most necessary while still fashionable? As most parents already know, it’s important to have a car seat. One that can adjust to your growing baby is the perfect convertible for almost any vehicle.